The Economic Perspective: “Will Our Priorities Change?”
Mary: I’m Mary Walden, with economist MW, welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program asks if our priorities will change. Mike, the coronavirus has upended everything in our society and economy. Experts say almost everything about our lives will change in some way. Does that include our public priorities?
Mike: Summary Answer
- Yes, many say public priorities of our governments will change
- The current priority is survival – both from the virus and from the shutdown in the economy
- So coming out of this some say government priorities will focus on the basics
- Jobs, businesses, incomes
- Since so much public debt has been accumulated confronting the virus, there will not be the appetite for any new large government programs
- But once the economy is back, may be a push for additional tax revenues to address the national debt
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.