The Economic Perspective: “Where’s the North Carolina Economy Headed?”
This is Mary Walden with economist MW, welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program asks where the North Carolina economy is headed. Mike, each month you release a report on leading indicators for the North Carolina economy. I understand your latest report has identified a trend. What is it?
- The Index has now declined for 5 of the last 7 months
- Lead by declines in manufacturing
- This is consistent with national trends
- Decline in state Index is modest – nothing like the decline in the Index preceding the Great Recession
- So current forecast is for continued growth in NC economy, but at a somewhat slower rate
- Means production and jobs will increase, but just not as fast as in 2018
- I’m MW
And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.