The Economic Perspective: “Job Opportunities”
This is Mary Walden with economist MW, welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at attracting brains. Mike, job opportunities are actively watched by workers as well as those entering the workforce. Much of the focus is on jobs in technology and the sciences. But are there some other opportunities that job seekers may be ignoring?
- Yes, jobs in the crafts, like carpenter, electrician, plumber, HVAC, and heavy machinery
- Many workers in those fields are now aging out, and they all aren’t being replaced
- Young people have increasingly been told to go to four-year colleges
- Of course, that is fine, but point is if a person doesn’t want to go that route, there are good paying alternative options
- Community colleges have programs in all these areas
- Some say we need to re-develop similar programs in high schools
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.