The Economic Perspective: “County Economics”
This is Mary Walden with economist MW welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at county economics. Mike, the federal government just released updated data for local economies of counties. What are some of the highlights for North Carolina?
- Important – GDP data – aggregate production in the county
- Look at period since the Great Recession
- First, no surprise that largest counties in GDP are Mecklenburg, Wake, Guilford, and Forsyth – Mecklenburg has almost $100 billion GDP – larger than several countries
- But prize for fastest growth in GDP goes to Nash, Alleghany, and Henderson – growth rates between one-third and two-thirds
- Common reason – manufacturing gains
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.