SC Commissioner Weathers: Watermelon Field Day and Biggest Melon Contest This Thursday
Watermelon season is going strong in South Carolina. And some growers are coming together this week to see who grew the largest melon.
The watermelon industry is important in South Carolina.
Last year, SC farmers grew nearly 4,000 acres and $18 million worth of watermelons.
Watermelon Field Day is this week: Thursday, July 14.
- Day-long seminar at the Edisto Research and Education Center in Blackville, SC
- Includes presentations and field research tours
- Also an opportunity for growers to taste-test multiple melon varieties
And for the first time, we’re holding a Biggest Watermelon Contest at Watermelon Field Day.
- Spearheaded by Zach Snipes from Clemson Extension.
- Growers should bring their largest melon to Field Day.
- Weigh-in will be held from 7:45 to 8:15am at Field Day.
- There will be a cash prize and a trophy for the winner sponsored by the South Carolina Watermelon Association.
Get more information on the Watermelon Field Day here.