SC Commissioner Weathers: Veterans Day
Veterans Day is Friday which means honoring those who have served our country. Commissioner Weathers is here to let us know more about how the South Carolina Department of Agriculture celebrates veteran farmers.
- South Carolina is proud of our veterans, and to have above the national average of veteran farmers.
- More than 4700 South Carolina farms have a principal producer who has served in the military. That’s about 19 percent of our farms.
- Recently, SCDA helped host the second Farmer Bootcamp with Project Victory Gardens and the Farmer Veteran Coalition of South Carolina. Through this two-day training, service men and women were able to get hands-on farming experience and learn from ag experts.
- We helped get the SC chapter of the Farmer Veteran Coalition off the ground a few years ago.
- The South Carolina Department of Agriculture is also a proud partner of the Homegrown by Heroes program.
- This program affords veteran South Carolina farmers/ag producers the ability to use the Homegrown by Heroes Logo on their signage and products.
- For more information, please visit the Farmer Veteran Coalition website: https://farmvetco.org/ and https://www.projectvictorygardens.org/