SC Commissioner Weathers: Veteran’s Day and Farmer Veteran Coalition
This Thursday is Veteran’s Day which means celebrating all of those who have served our country. SC Ag Commissioner Hugh Weathers is here to tell us more about how the South Carolina Department of Agriculture services and celebrates veteran farmers.
- Not only is South Carolina on the list of top ten most patriotic states in the U.S., but we are also proud to boast the fact that we are above the national average of veteran farmers.
- Around 19 percent of South Carolina farms have a principal producer who’s served in the military.
- The South Carolina Department of Agriculture is proud to assist those who have served through partnerships with the Farmer Veteran Coalition and the Homegrown by Heroes program.
- This initiative affords veteran farmers/ agricultural producers located in SC the ability to us the Homegrown by Heroes logo on their agribusiness signage and agricultural products.
- Recently, SCDA helped host a farmer bootcamp, Boots to Agribusiness, with Project Victory Garden and the Farmers Veteran Coalition of South Carolina. Through this two-day training event, servicemen and women interested in farming or agriculture were given the opportunity to get hands-on farming experience and to meet with ag experts.
- While this was the first Farmer Bootcamp, the hope is to implement this program throughout military bases in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia, giving even more transitioning servicemen and women the opportunity to start their own agribusiness.
- For more information, please visit the Farmer Veteran Coalition website: https://farmvetco.org/ and https://www.projectvictorygardens.org/