SC Commissioner Weathers: SCATE Card Update
It’s been about six months since the SC Department of Agriculture launched the SCATE program. Let’s check in with Commissioner of Agriculture Hugh Weathers on how it’s going.
- This year we worked with the SC Department of Revenue to roll out a handy new card for farmers to use for agricultural sales tax exemptions.
- State law offers several sales tax exemptions for items used in agricultural production. Equipment, seed, feed, etc.
- Our program is similar to Georgia’s GATE card, but unlike in Georgia, SC users do not need to meet a minimum farm income threshold to be eligible.
- Phasing out old paper form, the ST-8F.
- After July 1, 2022, SCDOR has asked retailers to require farmers to have a SCATE card to obtain tax exemptions.
- Phase-in has been a big success.
- We’ve had about 9,000 applicants so far.
- Farmers can apply online anytime at scatecard.com.
- A SCATE card costs $24 and is good for three years.
- For assistance, contact email@example.com or 803-734-2210.