SC Commissioner Weathers: SC Agritourism Farms Share Info at Annual Conference
I understand you’re at the 2023 South Carolina Agritourism Association’s annual conference this week. Tell us about it, Commissioner!
Well, agritourism is booming in South Carolina.
We have 545 agritourism farms listed on our site.
Agritourism is any activity carried out on a working farm or ranch that allows the public, for recreational, entertainment, or educational purposes, to view or enjoy rural activities.
Could include farm tours, hayrides, hiking trails, fishing, bird watching, animal experiences, U-picks, on-farm shopping, work-on-a-farm experiences, overnight stays, event & wedding rentals, farm to table dinners…
It’s an increasingly common way for farmers to supplement their farming income.
This conference includes both longtime agritourism farms and those who are new to the business.
- Dorr Farms – Sumter, SC
- Educational Presentation Topics: Farm Store, Beekeeping & Bee Insurance on the Farm
- Judson Family Farms – Sumter, SC
- Educational Presentation Topics: Weddings, Events, Event Insurance & Alcohol on the Farm. Farming Initiatives for Veterans.
- Moree’s Sporting Preserve – Society Hill, SC
- Educational Presentation Topics: Hunting, Fishing, Sporting Clays, & Other Recreation on the Farm
- Thompson Farm at Brickyard Plantation – Conway, SC
- Educational Presentation Topics: Glamping, School Field Trips, & Marketing on the Farm
- Moore Farms & Botanical Garden – Lake City, SC
- Educational Presentation Topics: Events, Landscaping & Gardening on the Farm, Guided Tour of the Gardens
Visit scagritourism.org to download the Agritourism 101 manual, join the association, find more seminars and learning opportunities, and be ready for next year’s meeting.