SC Commissioner Weathers: New Grant Program to Expand Meat Processing Capacity
The South Carolina Department of Agriculture has just announced a new grant program.
• We aim to improve meat processing capacity in the state with a new $3 million matching grant program.
• It’s called the Increased Processing Capacity and Efficiency (IPCE) program.
• SC has more than 700 livestock farmers.
• Currently, many farmers transport their animals out of state for processing because of a lack of in-state capacity.
• Processors also struggle with workforce training and retention.
• COVID-19 exposed existing weaknesses in the food supply system.
• We want to increase the supply of local meat to meet consumer demand.
• If awarded funding, South Carolina processing facilities can use the grant funds to expand their capacity through infrastructure and equipment improvements, as well as to train workers.
• If you own or manage a processing facility, you can learn more about these grants by visiting agriculture.sc.gov/grants.
• The deadline to apply is January 13, 2023.
• We believe it has the power to transform our state’s agribusiness industry at the local level.