SC Commissioner Weathers: Food Shows in Chicago and NYC
We’ll hear now from South Carolina Commissioner of Agriculture Hugh Weathers, who’s back from Chicago where he was working on behalf of the state’s farmers and food producers.
- I just returned from Chicago and the NASDA American Food Fair. That’s the National Association of State Departments of Agriculture.
- I’m part of the NASDA Steering Committee.
- The American Food Fair is teaming up with the National Restaurant Association Show to provide U.S. food and beverage companies the opportunity to engage with thousands of buyers in restaurants, lodging and food service.
- NASDA collaborates with USDA Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) and its network of international offices to recruit international buyers from all over the world.
- No South Carolina booth this year, but we are scoping it out so we can recruit some producers to exhibit there next year.
- This is part of our renewed focus on international trade opportunities for small and midsized SC food businesses.
- Through our work with SUSTA, the Southeastern United State Trade Association, we can offer many international marketing opportunities for SC producers.
- SUSTA offers a cost share program to exhibit in Chicago.
- Then in mid-June, one of our staffers will be in New York for the New York Fancy Food Show. We’re happy to see it back after it was rescheduled a few times due to COVID.
- Our agency is constantly seeking opportunities for South Carolina producers to grow their businesses and prosper.