SC Commissioner Weathers: Food and Ag Play a Vital Role in SC Economy
South Carolina Commissioner of Agriculture, Hugh Weathers, is here to tell us more about the recent Feeding the Economy report and what it means for South Carolina and the nation.
- Agriculture is South Carolina’s number one industry. With an almost $50 billion impact annually, the industry supplies more than 250,000 jobs across the state.
- In the United States, 29.14% of jobs are linked to the food and agriculture sectors, either directly or indirectly. If we combine food and agriculture in South Carolina, there is an $86.8 billion impact- that’s a number that shouldn’t go unrecognized.
- Farmers and others who work in the food industry are the engine of our economy. Without the people who dedicate their lives to farming, food service and more, we would not be in the economic position we are now.
- However, there are some uncertainties on the horizon for 2022. It’s no secret that the cost of just about everything is rising, and overseas conflicts don’t seem to be helping.
- Let’s be grateful to our local farmers and producers who ensure the low cost of food and who keep food on our tables.
- As we move further into the year, keep your farmers in mind and support them by seeking out Certified South Carolina food.