SC Commissioner Weathers: Eubanks Farm Dedication
There was a special event over in McCormick County earlier this month.
- We held a dedication ceremony May 19 at the Governor’s School at John de la Howe in McCormick, SC.
- Eubanks Farm, in honor of Martin Eubanks, an SCDA employee of 33 years that unfortunately is no longer with us.
- It was great to see Martin’s family, donors, industry folks, specifically some of his peach and watermelon guys, and staff from both SCDA and JDLH together for this important dedication.
- During Martin’s tenure, he played an important role in many programs—the creation of Certified SC Grown, Farm Aid, and many others. Working his way up through our Marketing department, Martin retired as an Assistant Commissioner.
- Martin was a friend to everyone in the agriculture industry.
About Eubanks Farm:
- The Eubanks Farm is currently five acres of tillable land. The garden is planted and maintained by the students at JDLH with the supervision and support of the Farm Manager and Ag teacher.
- One of the campus goals is to become 50% self-sustainable in feeding their own students and staff in the cafeteria.
- The Eubanks Farm will be key in reaching that goal within the next five years. The current rotation of plants are sweet corn, okra, squash, and zucchini. They have plans to add fruit trees and berries. The acres will grow as our student population grows.
- We were able to raise over $55,000 in private donations to get this farm started.
- If others are interested in donating, they can reach out to Cristina Key in my office. Donations should be made out to the SC Advocates for Agriculture.