SC Commissioner Weathers: Christmas Tree Farming in SC
Many of us will be searching for a Christmas tree soon. Here’s Commissioner Hugh Weathers to tell us about SC’s Christmas tree industry.
- Local choose-and-cut tree farms are a great choice for getting your Christmas tree.
- Many are family-run, seasonal operations with all hands on deck during December.
- Most will have plenty of native SC inventory although they may see an influx of early buyers.
- Tree varieties grown in SC include:
- Virginia Pine
- White Pine
- Leyland Cypress
- Murray Cypress
- Carolina Sapphire
- Clemson Greenspire
- Eastern Red Cedar
- Deodar Cedar
- Blue Ice
- The SC Christmas Tree Association website scchristmastrees.org, lists most farms across the state.
- A new survey from the Real Christmas Tree Board found that 78% of people who
previously bought an artificial tree, but tried a real one instead in 2021, say they wish they had started buying real sooner.
- After the holiday season, recycle your Christmas tree by taking it to a municipal recycling center for mulching. Some cities and counties also pick up trees curbside for the same purpose.