SC Commissioner Weathers: A Renewable Natural Gas Project in SC
- Today we’re holding a ribbon cutting at the Mercedes-Benz Vans plant in Ladson, South Carolina for an exciting project.
- GreenGasUSA, which is based in Charleston, installed equipment last year at McCall Farms to capture the methane from its Wastewater Treatment Facility and convert it to RNG, or renewable natural gas.
- McCall Farms is a family-owned business in the Pee Dee region established in the 1950s. It produces Southern-style canned vegetables, and it’s one of the largest agribusinesses in the state. McCall Farms sources nearly 700 million pounds of produce annually from farmers in the region. That’s why we’re so thrilled they’re on board for this project.
- Once the methane is converted to RNG, it’s delivered to Mercedes-Benz Vans, which is using this clean energy to power their paint shop.
- We see lots of potential for GreenGas to capture methane from South Carolina agribusinesses and convert it to RNG.
- In fact we think this is a model for other states.
- This is an example of industry in South Carolina leading the way on climate solutions. I’m happy to be able to help them do it.