SC Commissioner Hugh Weathers: Football Season and Peanuts
Football season has officially started! That means plenty of good tailgate food and game time snacks. Here to tell us about many South Carolinian’s football favorite is SC Ag commissioner Hugh Weathers.
- No matter what team you pull for, one thing that can bring everyone together is good food.
- Many football fans’ favorite happens to be South Carolina’s official state snack: Boiled Peanuts.
- Known as the “snack that gives back”, boiled peanuts are packed with vitamins and proteins that are perfect for a tailgate pre-game snack.
- Best of all, the recipe is simple. All you need is SC grown peanuts, water, and salt.
- You can find locally grown in-shell peanuts by visiting https://certifiedsc.com/. You can even search by county to find a location near you.
- Based on 2020 data, South Carolina had:
- 522 peanut farmers
- 82,000 planted acres
- 278 million pounds produced
- 3,400 pounds per acre state’s average production
- 5% of the nation’s peanuts annually
- To find more information on SC peanuts, visit https://aboutpeanuts.com/