NC Commissioner Troxler: Smithfield Foods Hunger Relief Day at the State Fair This Thursday
Smithfield Foods Hunger Relief is the single largest canned food drive in the state. Through our partnership with Smithfield Foods and the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina, fairgoers can exchange six cans of foods for free admission to the State Fair. Since the program began in 1993, fairgoers have donated over 5.8 million pounds of food. This is especially urgent this year as rising costs have left many struggling to make ends meet.
- We are still in the middle of the N.C. State Fair, so I would encourage listeners to make their plans to attend now while they still have five full days left to attend.
- On Thursday, which is Smithfield Foods Hunger Relief Day, we are offering a pretty good deal on admission.
- Thanks to our partnership with Smithfield Foods and the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina, fairgoers can exchange six cans of food for free fair admission.
- This is the second year that Smithfield Foods has sponsored Hunger Relief Day and I could not be more grateful for their support.
- We are fortunate we grow a lot of food in North Carolina and have active gleaning programs and food donation programs, but even with these resources, food insecurity still remains a pressing issue today.
- Adding to that is that the rising costs of just about everything has put many people in a pinch financially.
- They may have already been stretching their food, gas and household dollars, but higher costs stretch things even more.
- That’s why the can food drive is so important to the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina.
- Since this “food-raising” event started in 1993, fairgoers have donated over 5.8 million pounds of canned goods, which has made a big impact on food insecurity over the years.
- Smithfield Foods Hunger Relief Day is coming up Thursday, Oct. 20, so listeners still have time to buy some canned goods and join us on Thursday.
- The need continues to be great in North Carolina, so it’s a good way to help those who are food insecure.
- The State Fair runs through Oct. 23, so don’t miss out on all the fun.