NC Commissioner Troxler: Military Discount on N.C. Forest Service Seedling Sales
The N.C. Forest Service Nursery and Tree Improvement program ensures that residents of North Carolina have access to the best native trees and genetics available for use on their land. During the month of November, a 25 % discount is being offered to military members, active and retired, on new tree orders. Tree seedlings may be ordered by calling 1-888-NCTREES or by visiting www.buynctrees.com.
- For the month of November, the N.C. Forest Service is offering a 25 percent discount to active, honorably discharged and retired members of the military on tree seedling sales.
- It’s a great time to provide the discount since we honor veterans for their military service in November. Many military personnel and veterans are also forestland owners.
- The discount applies to the first $500 of all new orders, up to a $125 discount.
- Our Forest Service’s Nursery and Tree Improvement program collects seeds and raises high-quality native seedlings to ensure the best genetics available when trees are replanted following harvest.
- The program produces an average of 15 million seedlings each year or enough to plant around 30,000 acres of land each year.
- Harvesting native seed ensures trees are geographically suitable for best growth.
- The Tree Improvement Program maintains orchards for eight high priority species at five locations across the state. These grafted orchards are located in climate zones suitable for the species being produced.
- Seeds are harvested from forests and collected from the Tree Improvement Program orchards. The goal is to develop trees with improved growth rates, increased disease resistance and with better characteristics needed for producing high quality forest products.
- This ongoing effort has paid off, too. The time needed to grow a commercially mature stand of Loblolly Pine has been reduced from about 45-50 years down to 30-35 years as a result of genetic gains from the Tree Improvement Program.
- That is significant for landowners who would be able to harvest sooner between plantings.
- Current inventory includes loblolly pine, shortleaf pine, white pine, Fraser and other firs, a variety of hardwoods and native understory grasses.
- To qualify for the discount, proof of service is required. A valid military ID, Department of Defense Form 214/215 or National Guard Bureau Form 22/22A is acceptable. Standard shipping rates still apply. Tree seedlings may be ordered by calling 1-888-NCTREES or by visiting www.buynctrees.com.