SC Commissioner Weathers: Advocates of the Year for 2022
South Carolina Advocates for Agriculture recently named their Advocates of the Year for 2022. Here to tell us about it is SC Commissioner Hugh Weathers.
- Founded in 2005, the nonprofit South Carolina Advocates for Agriculture helps promote the state’s agricultural products and overall agriculture industry.
- I have the honor of serving as an advisor to the board of this organization.
- Each year, Advocates for Agriculture names two Advocates of the Year to honor their service to the state’s agriculture industry.
- This year, the board selected South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster and Dr. Ron Prestage, owner and president of Prestage Farms.
- Governor Henry McMaster is the 117th governor of South Carolina. Prior to becoming governor, McMaster served two years as lieutenant governor, eight years as attorney general and four years as United States attorney, appointed by President Ronald Reagan. He has been a strong leader of the state while advocating for the interests of South Carolina farmers and agribusinesses.
- Dr. Ron Prestage is president of pork and turkey producer Prestage Farms, Inc.’s South Carolina and Mississippi divisions and a member of the Board of Directors of Prestage Farms, Inc. A former equine veterinary practitioner, Dr. Prestage joined the family business in 1994. He has served as chairman of the National Turkey Federation, the US Poultry and Egg Board of Directors, the National Pork Producer Council Board of Directors, the South Carolina Poultry Federation, and on the NC State University Board of Trustees. Construction of Prestage Foods of South Carolina, the company’s second turkey processing plant, began in 2021 with plans to begin processing birds in late 2022 while employing near 300 associates.
- The 14th Advocates of the Year Recognition Reception was held Thursday, August 11 at the Phillips Market Center at the South Carolina State Farmers Market in West Columbia.
- Advocates has done important work over the years, including a flood relief campaign for farmers called Plant It Forward SC; and Farmers to Food Banks, which used privately donated funds during COVID to buy food from South Carolina farmers and give it to food banks. All told, it has raised and disbursed nearly two million dollars.
- I’m very grateful for the work these two gentlemen have done on behalf of South Carolina’s farmers.