Twenty-seven students awarded $2,000 each
RALEIGH – Twenty-seven North Carolina students have been awarded 2016 N.C. State Fair Youth Livestock Scholarships, Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler announced.
The scholarships are designed for high school seniors and college students who have participated in the junior livestock or market turkey shows at the N.C. State Fair.
The scholarships were funded by sponsors of the annual N.C. State Fair Junior Livestock Sale of Champions. The number of scholarships awarded each year is based on qualified applicants and funds available from the previous year’s Sale of Champions.
“Because of strong support of the 2015 Sale of Champions, 27 scholarships valued at $2,000 each were awarded this year,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. “I’m so appreciative of the support of our sponsors and others who made these scholarships possible.”
A selection committee evaluated applicants based on their involvement with N.C. State Fair junior livestock shows, academic achievement, extracurricular activities and an essay. Each application was assigned a number and identifying information was removed before evaluation.
Following is a list of the scholarship recipients by county, along with their hometown and the university or community college they will attend this fall:
- Sarah Thomas, Snow Camp, N.C. State University
- Dylan Keith Kiser, Alexander, East Tennessee State University
- Ty Worley, Leicester, Haywood Community College
- Kaylyn Groce, Siler City, Oklahoma State University
- Abigail Fulton, Lexington, Appalachian State University
- Tristen Fulton, Lexington, Iowa State University
- Kylie Ward, Lexington, University of Mount Olive
- Melanie Fishel, Kernersville, N.C. State University
- Joey Moore, Youngsville, Vance-Granville Community College
- Mason Blinson, Buies Creek, Oklahoma State University
- Macy Massengill, Princeton, N.C. State University
- Haley Stevens, Selma, Johnston Community College
- Skyler M. Tyndall, Selma, N.C. State University
- Taylor Joyner, Nashville, N.C. State University
- Logan Tyson, Nashville, N.C. State University
- Justin Lawrence, Winterville, N.C. State University
- Evan Gunter, Asheboro, Randolph Community College
- Brooklyn Murray, Bostic, Isothermal Community College
- LeAnn Harward, Richfield, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Brandon Hartman, Walnut Cove, N.C. State University
- Emma See, Raleigh, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Garrett See, Raleigh, N.C. State University
- Alec Linton, Mount Olive, University of Mount Olive
- Kelsey Bentley, Kenly, N.C. State University
- Sam Brake, Lucama, Connors State College
- Liz-Anne Earle, Johnston Community College
- Tyler Sharp, Sims, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
For more information on how individuals and organizations can support the 2016 Junior Livestock Sale of Champions or the scholarship program, contact Neil Bowman, director of N.C. State Fair livestock shows, at email@example.com or 919-270-7094; or Angie Crone, sponsorship director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-839-4514.