Mary: I’m Mary Walden with economist MW, welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program asks, who is hiring. Mike, the job market has been pounded by the economic slowdown caused by fighting the coronavirus. Weekly layoffs have been setting records. In all this gloominess, is anyone hiring?
Mike: Summary Answer
- Of course, most businesses aren’t hiring, but instead are firing
- Losses have been particularly high in restaurants, hotels, travel, and retailing
- But there are some businesses that are hiring
- Construction, stock clerks and order filers, ems and paramedics, loan interviewers, and pharmacists
- Hirings are still falling well short of firings
- Big question is whether there will be a shifting of jobs once virus crisis is gone
- Some analysts think there will be, so there will be a big reshuffling of jobs where retraining may be needed
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.