This is Mary Walden with economist MW, welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program asks where the North Carolina economy is headed. Mike, each month you release a report on leading indicators for the North Carolina economy. I understand your latest report has identified a trend. What is it?
- The Index has now declined for 5 of the last 7 months
- Lead by declines in manufacturing
- This is consistent with national trends
- Decline in state Index is modest – nothing like the decline in the Index preceding the Great Recession
- So current forecast is for continued growth in NC economy, but at a somewhat slower rate
- Means production and jobs will increase, but just not as fast as in 2018
- I’m MW
And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.