Mary: This is Mary Walden with economist MW welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program asks, what is the American Dream. Mike, the American Dream has been a part of our national culture almost since the beginning of the country. Some say the American Dream is still alive; others say it is floundering. But before that question can be answered, we first must establish what exactly is the American Dream.
Mike: Summary Answer
- If read, it has four parts
- First, equal opportunity for all to get ahead, particularly by providing equal opportunity for education
- Second, do better economically than parents
- Third, be able to participate in ownership – homeownership
- Fourth – no systemic blocks to anyone trying to fulfill their dreams
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.