I’m Mary Walden with economist MW, welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at the location of future work. Mike, two of the biggest issues in many communities are housing costs and transportation congestion. How have communities reacted to these issues, and what might be the ultimate solution?
- High cost of housing in central areas leads people to live farther away where housing is cheaper
- But leads to more commuting and congestion
- One change that could alleviate both would be re-locating work to dispersed locations, where people could live near their work
- Or, technology may allow more people to work from home
- Or, autonomous vehicles could allow people to work as they commute
- With the pace of technological change, could see any of these in the future
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.