Mary: I’m Mary Walden with economist MW welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program asks, tele in everything? Mike, in order to contain the coronavirus, schools and colleges have been closed, travel has been limited, medical visits have been controlled, and many people are working from home. Will these practices continue, and maybe even expand, after the virus has been eliminated?
Mike: Summary Answer
- Called “tele” – educating, working, medicine
- We have been forced to do more of it during the virus
- Some see big savings – on buildings, commuting, and benefits of more time with family
- So, think will expand
- But contrary view – increase use will have exposed issues – and losses when don’t have face-to-face contact
- My guess – tele is here to stay, but technology will have to advance before widely accepted
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.