Mary: This is Mary Walden with economist MW, welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at task-focused education. Mike, one of the outcomes of the coronavirus may be a need to overhaul our educational system. Some experts say up to one-third of the jobs in our country may be lost of significantly changed as a result of the virus. How will our educational system need to change?
Mike: Summary Answer
- Two big reasons for these changes – remote working, and advanced technology doing many of today’s jobs
- Hopefully, new jobs will appear, but will be different
- Not only will this mean new kinds of training for young students, but also for existing workers losing their jobs
- The new training needs to be short, focused, and inexpensive
- Community colleges will be important, but so too will new programs at high schools and even advanced colleges and universities
- Looking a training programs of a year or two
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.