This is Mary Walden with economist MW, welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at states people liked in 2019. Mike, the U.S. is a big country, which means people have numerous choices for where they live. People exercise this choice by sometimes moving from one state to another. Each year we can look at data on how many people moved in versus how many people moved out to gauge the popularity of states. What do the data show for 2019, particularly for North Carolina?
Mike: Summary Answer
- Initial data are from United Van Lines – will get other information later
- For 2019, NC was popular – state ranked 9th in excess of people moving to the state versus those leaving
- In the Southeast, NC’s popularity was beaten only by South Carolina, which ranked 8th, and Florida which ranked 7th
- Number 1 state was Vermont, and number 2 state was Idaho
- At opposite end, least attractive state was Jew Jersey, and second least attractive was Illinois
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.