Mary: This is Mary Walden with economist MW welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at a shake-up in transportation. Mike, the coronavirus and its aftermath is – and will – create numerous changes in the economy. Probably one of the sectors most impacted will be transportation. What will be some of the changes we might see?
Mike: Summary Answer
- Five impacts
- The move from owning individual vehicles to ride-sharing may be reversed, as people seek to minimize personal contact
- Similar movement away from mass transit
- Sales of electric vehicles may drop with gas prices so low
- Increase in tele-working may reduce daily commuting
- And, with driving possibly reduced and gas prices low, more motivation for states to find alternatives to gas price taxes
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.