Mary: This is Mary Walden with economist MW welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at North Carolina’s job performance in 2019. Mike we now have complete job numbers for North Carolina in 2019. How we do?
Mike: Summary Answer
- Was a very strong year
- Net job growth was almost 94,000, a 2% increase from 2018
- Beat the national job increase of 1.4%
- And blew away the new job total for 2018 of 50,000
- Fastest growing sectors – professional services, health care, trade, entertainment – so a mix of high paying and low paying
- Slight declines in manufacturing and construction
- Job growth is one reason why out-of-state people continue to flock to NC
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.