Mary: I’m Mary Walden, with economist MW, welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at North Carolina’s job gains. Mike, job market statistics are the most closely watched of all economic data. North Carolina’s November job numbers were released a couple of weeks ago. Were they good?
Mike: Summary Answer
- State added 16,000 net new jobs
- State unemployment rate stayed steady at 6.2%
- Biggest gains were in leisure/hospitality, construction, and information
- Downside – gains are slowing, and official jobless rate understates true rate
- With resurgence of virus and reinstatement of economic restrictions nationwide, may see a pause in job gains in upcoming months
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.