This is Mary Walden with economist MW welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at mining in Charlotte. Mike, in the 19th century Charlotte was a mining region. Gold was found there, and the first gold rush in the country was in Charlotte. Now I understand a new kind of mining is taking off in Charlotte. What is it?
- Lithium mining – west of Charlotte
- Lithium is a key element in the making of batteries, particularly for electric vehicles
- Expect to see a big demand for lithium
- Expect a $500 million investment and ultimately 300 jobs
- Of course, always risks
- Will battery demand occur, competitors, costs
- But exciting – full circle for Charlotte region
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.