This is Mary Walden with economist MW, welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at mini cities. Mike, there’s a new development concept being implemented around the country, including North Carolina. It’s called mini cities. What are mini cities, and how are they different?
- Some call then live, work, play developments
- Concept is to have all the activities a typical working household needs within a small area
- So can avoid commuting to work, putting kids on buses to school, or driving for groceries or doctor appointments
- Doesn’t mean won’t go into the big city periodically, but daily travel will be much reduced
- So benefits the environment
- In NC, Chatham Park is an example – two more mini-cities have been proposed for the Triangle
- I’m MW
And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.