This is Mary Walden with economist MW, welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at interstate household movement in 2018. Mike, probably everyone knows someone in North Carolina who has move here from another state. Both you and I are in this group of movers. Do the latest data show North Carolina is attracting new residents from other states?
Mike: Summary Answer
- Yes, new data for 2018 show North Carolina is the 8th most attractive states for people to move to
- Second highest in the southeast, just behind SC and even betting Florida
- Can see regional patterns
- People are still moving out of the Northeast and Midwest, and many are coming south – likely weather related and job related
- Several states in the far west – like Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Nevada – have been attracting households – many from California
- This resorting of Americans will continue to have impacts on both the economy as well as politics
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.