Mary: This is Mary Walden with economist MW, welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at generational investors. Mike, we are a nation of generations. Older generations have had time to invest and accumulate wealth, while younger generations are at the beginning of this process. Give us a snapshot of the wealth of each or our generations.
Mike: Summary Answer
- Looking at net wealth – all assets minus debt
- Silent generation (1928-45 born): $20 trillion
- Baby boomers (1945-64 born): $65 trillion
- Gen X (1965-80 born): $34 trillion
- Millennials (1980-2000 born): $10 trillion
- In addition, 6%-9% of wealth is bequeathed every 5-year period
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.