Mary: I’m Mary Walden with economist MW, welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at different recoveries. Mike, the economy has been doing better in recent months as states have reopened large parts of their economies. But have all parts of the economy improved to the same degree?
Mike: Summary Answer
- Leisure/hospitality and retail trade were biggest-hit sectors
- Both have improved, with leisure/hospitality bringing back about half their jobs and retailing recovering about 40% of their jobs
- Manufacturing less hard-hit – about 60% of jobs are back
- Construction less hard hit – about 40% of jobs back
- Two sectors are almost 100% back – transportation, and information
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.