I’m Mary Walden with economist MW welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at averting a recession. Mike, with so much concern about a possible recession on the horizon, economic policy-makers are talking about ways the government could head off an economic downturn. What are the options, and would they work?
- New government spending to substitute for lower private spending
- Most mentioned is on infrastructure
- Problem – years to implement; hope would be it would boost optimism Also – reduction in payroll tax
- Puts more money in household pockets, and they could spend
- Question – would they spend if pessimistic
- Best – a trade deal
- I’m MW
And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.