Here to tell give us an update on the happening at the South Carolina Department of Agriculture is SC Ag Commissioner Hugh Weathers.
- SCDA is celebrating the 10-year anniversary of the Phillips Market Center this month. PMC is a meeting, event, office and kitchen space located on the grounds of the State Farmers Market.
- We are also looking forward to another great year of Market Bulletin content. A reminder: ads are due by noon on the Tuesday after the latest published issue. Ads can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, online, by mail or by fax. Visit agriculture.sc.gov/market-bulletin for more information
- Remote Produce Safety Rule Grower Training is continuing in 2021. Fruit and vegetable growers, and anyone interested in learning about the Food Safety Modernization Act, are invited to participate. The next training will be held February 18-18, 2021.
- Another exciting announcement is the continuation of 2021 Chef Ambassadors into 2021 This joint effort with PRT highlights the state’s talented chefs, creative recipes and locally grown produce. Many events were cancelled due to COVID-19, but it is out hope that the chef Ambassadors will be able to carry out the program and help promote local food, chefs, restaurants and South Carolina’s authentic cuisine and rich food heritage.
- ACRE has teamed up with Clemson Extension to provide a one-stop shop for SC start-ups. This joint effort between ACRE, Clemson SBDC and Matson Consulting will provide technical assistance to cooperative and other small businesses, with an emphasis on agricultural businesses.
- We are also keeping our eye on CFAP 3.0 and what it means for South Carolina Farmers. More on that to come.