Here to tell us about a new SCDA resource for minority and women farmers is SC Ag Commissioner Hugh Weathers.
- I am happy to announce a new resource page located on our website for minority farmers that members of our staff have been working on for quite some time
- The page is located under the “resources” tab of our website: agriculture.sc.gov
- A minority farmer is someone who is considered socially disadvantaged by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
- It is someone who, because of his or her affiliation with a particular group, may have been subject to discrimination in the process of applying for agriculture-related government services.
- This resource is especially important in SC, where we have a higher percentage of new and beginning farmers, veteran farmers, and women farmers than the national average.
- On this new webpage, you can find information related to federal loan and grant opportunities, funding resources for women, national organizations and associations, as well as South Carolina organizations and associations such as Fresh Future Farm and the Southeastern African American Farmer’s Organic Network.
- We hope that this will be a gateway for valuable agricultural, economic and social information for people and provide a guide to promote access to federal and local resources for historically underserved communities in the state’s agriculture community.
- For more information, please contact LauraKate McAllister at email@example.com.