I am here with SC Ag Commissioner Hugh Weathers to talk about the Memorial Day weekend and what to look forward to in summer produce.
- I hope that you were able to commemorate the men and women who gave their lives protecting our freedom this past weekend as my family and I did.
- I believe that this time of uncertainty has led us all to place a higher value on the important things in life – family, close friends, health and service
- Many of SCDA’s employees are veterans, and South Carolina has a higher percentage of veteran farmers than the national average. We thank them for their service
- Memorial Day also serves as the unofficial kick off for summer and while you may not have been able to celebrate as usual with a big cookout, day at the lake or a parade, I hope that you were still able to enjoy local food
- As we transition to summer, South Carolina blueberries, watermelon, blackberries, figs and peaches will start to appear in grocery stores and on the menus of many restaurants.
- Our tastier peaches are shaping up to have a great season. I know that I am personally excited for Blanche’s famous peach cobbler.
- Remember to look for the Certified South Carolina sticker while shopping to easily identify South Carolina products and remember, “It’s a matter of taste!”
- For a full list of what’s in season and where to shop local, please visit https://certifiedsc.com/