Here with an update on the South Carolina Farmers to Food Banks program is SC Ag Commissioner Hugh Weathers.
- So far, the Farmers to Food Banks program that was launched in June, has helped South Carolina producers and distributors donate 16,339 free food boxes to Feeding America food banks across the state
- Our goal with this program is to help farmers distribute product and get needy families nutritious and local food during the COVID-19 pandemic
- We have now entered the second round of the program and are expecting 6,000 more boxes to be delivered by the end of September
- So far, the program has helped support 32 SC farms, boosted 9 food hubs and distributors and given out 279,521 pounds of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Last week, a few members of SCDA staff saw the program’s impact firsthand as they helped distribute boxes at the Drew Wellness Center in Columbia
- This food box program is helping vulnerable communities and families across the state in both rural and urban areas gain access to the food they need
- We saw how the virus impacted our food supply chain in the beginning stages of the pandemic. Now more than ever, people understand where their food comes from and just how important it is to support our farmers.