Exciting news is coming out of South Carolina. Here to tell us more about a recent economic development project announcement is SC Ag Commissioner Hugh Weathers.
- This Joint Venture project will build approximately 140 acres of greenhouses for production of leafy greens and tomatoes as part of Phase 1 operations
- With a $315M total investment, we hope to see the creation of 1,547 new full-time jobs in Hampton County
- I look forward to seeing the partnership this project has created with Sunset Brands continue to grow and to the development of the project’s Agricultural Technology Campus, a processing/ co-packing facility, co-anchored by Lidestri Foods
- While a large part of this project is significant acreage of hoop-houses for blueberry production, later down the road there is a plan to also grow chickpeas for the sole purpose of hummus production
- Although there were other potential locations considered for the project, South Carolina was ultimately selected
- SC is poised for agribusiness. Available labor, agricultural education and history, as well as established infrastructure that provides easy access North and South to transport product, all factor in to why the Palmetto State was chosen
- We hope that this project will create partnership and cooperation between local farmers, provide further investment in our state’s agriculture sector, and ultimately provide subsequent opportunities to our farmers and partners