Vaccination phase 1b is underway in South Carolina. Here to tell us more is SC Ag commissioner Hugh Weathers.
- With South Carolina preparing to expand COVID-19 vaccine availability, I am urging those in the food and agriculture sector to step up and be vaccinated when they are eligible.
- The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control announced that Phase 1b of vaccine availability began Monday, March 8, 2021.
- SCDHEC’s criteria for Phase 1b can be found at scdhec.gov/covid19/covid-19-vaccine. It is apparent that many people who work in South Carolina’s food and agriculture industries meet SCDHEC’s definition of “frontline workers,” “migrant farmworkers living in shared housing or reliant on shared transportation,” and/or other 1b qualifications.
- I encourage anyone who meets the 1b criteria to reach out to their health care or pharmacy provider about scheduling a vaccination appointment. SCDHEC also maintains an online service, scdhec.gov/vaxlocator, and a hotline, 1-866-365-8110.
- The South Carolina Department of Agriculture is also in communication with state authorities, health care providers and agricultural businesses about setting up some on-site vaccination clinics at workplaces during this phase.