NC State’s Plant Sciences Initiative Right on Track

 

Recently, at the Blacklands Farm Managers Field Day, Dr. Tom Melton, Deputy Director of NCCES and Agriculture and Natural Resources Program Leader provided an update on NC State’s Plant Sciences Initiative.  The project is rolling right along explains Melton:

“Yeah, it’s doing great.  We’ve raised 90% of the funds to get the building up and going, they know where the other 10% is coming from, so it’s on ‘go’.  It’s looking like groundbreaking will be in about two years with completion date about four years from now.

“The building up and going, they know where the other 10% is coming from, so it’s on ‘go’.  It’s looking like groundbreaking will be in about two years with completion date about four years from now.

“So, architects are hired, construction company is hired, we’ve got somebody right in the wings, they’ve already accepted the job offer to take over the leadership on moving this forward, it’s really in great shape, it’s really exciting for everyone involved and everyone that’s helped make it happen.”

This has come together so much faster than anyone ever thought possible, especially for the amount of money we’re talking about.

“Yeah, it’s a huge amount of money, it’s like $85, $87 million dollars that was pulled together, we’ve really got to thank Golden Leaf, they came up with a $40 million grant, the largest grant in the history of the College of Ag and Life Sciences, over $8 million from 44 different commodity groups, which shows the support of our stakeholders and the growers in the state.

“You know, typical state building, I think we were 44th or 23rd in line, and suddenly we popped up to number one, because of our stakeholders, so it’s been a wonderful partnership.”

You had an aggressive goal of 2020, and you’re just about going to make it.

“Yeah, we’re going to be really close.  It’s so exciting because it’s not just a building, and we’re already starting to bring faculty together to start these special faculty clusters, and get some really big dollars in here to do some wonderful work that will ultimately benefit farmers in our ag industry.”

Anything you’d like to add, sir?

“Just really want to emphasize how much the whole state’s support through the state bond and all the contributions.”

And, as Melton alluded to, Entomologist, agricultural biotechnology business professional and commodity leader Stephen Briggs has signed on to be the launch director of the Plant Sciences Initiative.


A native of the Texas Panhandle, Rhonda was born and raised on a cotton farm where she saw cotton farming evolve from ditch irrigation to center pivot irrigation and harvest trailers to modules. After graduating from Texas Tech University, she got her start in radio with KGNC News Talk 710 in Amarillo, Texas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*