Much to the dismay of many small family farms, farm size has risen over recent decades. Why is this – are bigger farms simply more profitable?
- small family farms used to be the norm in the country
- today only 10% of farms are less than 10 acres in size
- big reason is productivity and profits
- large farms are better equipped to use modern and efficient farm equipment
- much of this equipment is simply too expensive for small operations
- so classic example of economies of scale
- but good news is that many small farms are making a comeback – producing specialty crops and engaged in urban agriculture