Mary: This is Mary Walden with economist MW welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at economic trends helping North Carolina. Mike, there are always large forces – some call them winds of change – impacting the economy. Most of these can’t be impacted by public policy. What are some of these big trends that might impact North Carolina in the decades ahead?
Mike: Summary Answer
- Three: aging population, continued technological innovation, and international connectiveness
- Aging population – % 65 and older will double in 50 years
Impact every business
- Tech innovation – NC has a large tech sector; universities help
Question – can it continue; tech sector is very mobile; amenities important
- International connectiveness: products and tourists
Meat – but waste issue; also ports and roads
Tourists – getting here
- I’m MWMary: And I’m Mary Walden for the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service.