Mary: This is Mary Walden with economist MW welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at the pros and cons of retiring to a college town. Mike, we’re now at the age where many of our friends either have retired or are considering retiring. For those who are mobile, many experts recommend retiring to a small town with a college or university. Is this sound advice?
Mike: Summary Answer
- Certainly many pluses
- Usually active communities – opportunities for learning, fine arts, attend athletics
- If in a community with a larger university, may have a teaching hospital
- But, of course, there will be many college students who have different lifestyles than retirees
- So want to check on residential opportunities
- Are there communities that cater to retirees?
- And if it is a town with a smaller college, may not have the range of medical facilities offered in a larger city
- So, do your homework!
- I’m MW
Mary: And I’m Mary Walden for the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service