NC Commissioner Steve Troxler: N.C. Forest Service Annual Tree Seedling Sale
The sale of tree seedlings by the N.C. Forest Service is underway. Conifers and hardwoods can be ordered in quantities as small as 10 or up to 100 seedlings. Threes can also be ordered by the hundreds or thousands. These are native trees and understory plants raised through the Nursery and Tree Improvement Program. Orders can be placed at www.buynctrees.com
- The N.C. Forest Service recently kicked off its annual tree seedling sale, offering conifers and hardwoods to help landowners replant with good, native trees and understory stock.
- The sales are part of the N.C. Forest Service’s Nursery and Tree Improvement Program, and over the years it has proven to be popular.
- So popular in fact, that I would advise anyone interested in purchasing trees to go ahead and get their order in.
- Conifers and hardwoods are sold in as small a quantity as 10. But the nursery sells the seedlings by the hundreds and thousands.
- You know we hear so much these days about environmental sustainability, but it’s important that we remember that we get many positive returns from open farmland and forestland. Forest lands help with water quality, carbon sequestration and concerns about climate resiliency.
- This year we are offering several new species of trees including Nordmann and Trojan firs, , Caanan fir, Colorado blue spruce and red spruce.
- Genetically improved stock is available in loblolly, longleaf, shortleaf and white pines. These offer better volume growth, disease resistance and straightness. That helps ensure what you are planting should produce high quality forestry products.
- Most trees will be distributed December through mid-April, depending on weather conditions.
- You can order trees online at www.buynctrees.com or by phone at 1-888-NCTrees. You can find an online catalogue under the heading “Tree Seedlings & Nursery Program” link on the N.C. Forest Service website at www.ncforestsevice.gov. You can also check with your local country ranger office if you have questions.
- Go online and look at what we have for sale.