This is Mary Walden with economist MW welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at regional tech competitiveness. Mike, North Carolina – and specifically the Triangle region – did not land new the Amazon headquarters. Does this mean our state is lagging in the ability to attract technology firms?
- Not at all
- I think NC lost Amazon as a result of other factors
- I said when the process started, that Amazon needed first to decide if it wanted to be a big fish in a big pond, or a big fish in a small pond
- They choose the former – entertainment amenities and public transit options were important
- Triangle – and most other regions – just weren’t big enough yet
- In terms of the relative concentration of tech jobs, Triangle ranks 3th nationally behind only Northern Virginia and Austin
- So NC will continue to attract tech companies – just getting ahead by hitting singles and doubles and not grand slams
And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.