Almost any person likes a race. And in our state’s economy, we often like to look at the race for jobs among our numerous regions. Who is in the lead right now after over half of 2018 in the books?
- Look at the metropolitan regions and then rural NC
- After first half of 2018 – Durham is in lead with annualized job growth of 6%
- But #2 doesn’t go to Raleigh or Charlotte, which is typical – goes to Rural NC
- Then Raleigh, Greenville, and Winston-Salem
- Charlotte farther down the list
- Only metro region not growing – Goldsboro
- Note – these are growth rates
- Leader in raw jobs added is still Charlotte
- But shows job prosperity is fanning out
The Economic Perspective is an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.