This is Mary Walden with economist MW welcoming you to the economic perspective. Today’s program looks at the hurricane recovery scenario. Mike, we’re just now beginning to see some return to normalcy in hurricane impacted areas of North Carolina. Still, the rebuilding period will take a long time. Is there a typical path to recovery from hurricanes?
- Yes – step 1 is getting the essentials to people – food, water, power
- Also – animals on farms
- Made more difficult with Florence due to flooded roads
- Step 2 – repairs to businesses and homes that are still usable
- Step 3 – the longest – rebuilding of structures that were total losses
- Interestingly, as rebuilding occurs, local economies get a boost
- But I am convinced NC will rebuilt, and long term adverse impacts on the local and state economies will be small
And I’m Mary Walden for the Economic Perspective, an NC State Extension program from the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.